YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: A 55-gallon barrel of printing ink began boiling after a mixer overheated, causing a chemical reaction that fllled a small Lodi industrial building with smoke and brought hazardous materials specialists from Garfield and Bergen County, along with local firefighters.
The chemical was eventually neutralized and the drum was cooled down and brought outside UViTec Printing Ink at 14 Mill Street shortly after the 11:30 a.m. call, emergency workers said. Firefighters continued to pour water on it to keep it cooling.
Mutual aid was provided by, among others, Saddle Brook, Garfield, Saddle Brook and Wallington firefighters.
Rochelle Park and Hasbrouck Heights were on standby covering Lodi. They were released beginning around 1 o’clock.
PHOTO: Kevin Teel (KTeel Fire Videos)