EXCLUSIVE: An elderly Ridgewood resident escaped injury after igniting an explosion in his garage today by mixing chlorine, pool shock and warm water in a bucket, police said.
“He was really lucky,” Police Chief John Ward told CLIFFVIEW PILOT.
Officer Rosario Vaccarella, who was passing by at the time, heard the mini-blast and saw a small cloud coming from the Willow Court garage, then ran inside and got the man out, Ward said.
“He was covered in the chemicals, and the garage was filled with fumes,” the chief said.
An ambulance took the man to The Valley Hospital in Ridgewood for evaluation and observation, Ward said.
Firefighters vented the garage and removed the remaining chemicals, he said.
Adding chlorine to other chemicals must be done one at a time, experts warn. Mixing chemicals before they hit pool water can create problems in the pool — if they don’t explode.